Woman in the Woods

 My grandfather used to tell a story about the winding, treacherous road which led to the town of Nipigon. Many accidents had taken place in the rock cuts of what people had termed "Suicide Hill." In fact to this day we still call it that, even though it has been straightened many times and now bares no resemblance what once was.

Eastbound approach through rock cuts at Suicide Hill

He told a story that if you go up Suicide Hill during a certain time of the year, a woman in white could be seen. This story was retold to me by my mother and I decided to go have a look myself. For a number of evenings, mornings and nights in 2012, I went to this hill in search for a ghostly woman in white and took a lot of video and photos of the area before work had begun on its final iteration. 



99% of the photos taken are random shots of rocks and trees, taken in hopes of capturing something... Anything really. The photos were not meant to document the area and the changes that were, and will be made. I'll share just a few here.




One night my mother decided she would come along as an observer, and also to keep an ear out if I tripped and fell into the jagged rocks on the side of the hill. Nothing was found but she noticed, I did gravitate to one section of the old road, where a small grouping of trees were. When I finished investigating, she said, "You know when you went over there, into those trees? That's where "Gramma' (My grandma, not her's) said a man shot himself." This was news to me, as I'd only heard about the car wrecks. Just prior to heading in I did catch a mist, but I would tend to say that this is my breath on a cold night in May.


However, in a daytime trek on to the hill I spent more time recording and taking photos and happened to take another random shot. I didn't know it at the time. It just looked like any of the other shots. It wasn't till I got home and studied each photo in detail that I noticed something weird.


It looks to be a woman with black hair, peering over the branches. Her hair looks like one of those 1960's hair-do's. Her face quite pale.


I remember posting it to Dark History and a lot of other people could see her as well. 'Creepy' was the word of the day. 

When I took it, I was alone, there was nobody up there, no cars parked, nobody walking the area, silent except for the sound of traffic on the highway and birds. What would a woman be doing up here? And why of all times would she be alone here? The same time as me..? Even if she did happen to be walking... Why would she hide in the trees? Who is she?


Eventually the photo had made it over to a friend who saw it and he claims he knows exactly who this was. I can't say the name, but you catch my drift. She'd passed on in an accident some years ago. I never asked what year, but I am guessing the late 60's. It seems out of all the time spent, I finally captured a ghost photo at Suicide Hill.


Even after adjusting the brightness, her face seems to have a completely different color than the surroundings. That of a pale fleshly color. Her head is 3/4 profile to what would be my left, and head cocked slightly to her right shoulder. Her black hair is quite evident as also the deep set eyes and arches of the brow. Cheekbones quite evident too. I also see her hair is wrapped behind her ear. She does stand a great height from the ground if you look at the original photo, but nowhere does it say a spirit has to stand on the ground. She might not be Thee 'Woman in White' of Suicide Hill, but definitely a woman on Suicide Hill. Interesting stuff indeed...

SHARE BUTTON Found Here


Don't forget, you can share this, and every blog posting by scrolling down below my name, and hit the Share button, also found at the top of each posting. Thanks for sharing!




~ Dee McCullay - Dark History




Comments

Popular Posts